Home Programs BE Evaluation

The student performance evaluation on courses in the BE program is done as per the evaluation scheme of the university. In evaluation of each courses, two components are there: the continuous in-semester evaluation and the final end-semester evaluation.

Continuous In-Semester Evaluation: All courses undertaken by students are evaluated during the semester using an internal system of continuous assessment.  The student is evaluated on class and/or tutorial participation, assignment work, laboratory work, class tests and quizzes which contribute to the final grade awarded for the subject. Students will be notified at the commencement of each course, about the evaluation methods to be used for the course and the weighting given to the different assignments and evaluation activities

Students who fail in the internal evaluation are not eligible to appear in the end semester examination of the course. The students failed in internal evaluation have to appear for both internal and end-semester examinations of the course in the next academic session.

Final End-Semester Evaluation: The examination at the end of the semester is set and evaluated by examiners and the answer sheets will be made available to the students in this manner.  The results will be available promptly after the examination and if there are any matters that may result in adjustment of marks or grades, these will be addressed quickly and fairly. The weighting given to the continuous assessment and the final examination will be established together with the grading allocated by the course instructors for each course in consultation with their department and relevant committees.

Evaluation of Practical-Oriented Courses: In the evaluation of practical oriented courses, the continuous in-semester evaluation forms the 80% and the final end-semester evaluation forms the remaining 20% of the total evaluation.

Evaluation of Other Courses: Evaluation of other courses normally comprises 25% continuous in-semester and 75% final end-semester evaluation.

Students must get at least 40% marks in each of the evaluation components to pass. Students failing to get 40% marks in the continuous in-semester evaluation are unable to sit for the final evaluation.

Letter Grading System: The grading system used in BE program, is defined as letter grading system.  At the end of each semester, students are awarded letter grades which are based on grades and marks obtained in various segments of the course evaluation.  Final evaluation of the course is carried out on a Nine point grading system as follows:

Percent of marks

Letter grade

Grade Value


80 and above




75 and below 80




70 and below 75



Very Good

65 and below 70




60 and below 65




55 and below 60




50 and below 55




45 and below 50




40 and below 45




Below 40




If a student fails to pass a course, an F grade is given.  If the student fails to complete the course and does not appear in the final examination, it is not possible to award a grade, a special code will be allocated dependent on the circumstances.

Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA): Each course grade is converted into a specific number of points, associated with the grade.  These points are weighted in accordance with the number of credits assigned to a course.  As the students complete different courses, these points are accumulated and an average point score for each student is called the CGPA of his performance.

The CGPA of the student must remain at 2.0 or above throughout the duration of their studies.  If a student fails to maintain this CGPA or receives TWO OR MORE permanent F grades, then the student may be required to withdraw from the program.

Attendance Requirement: To achieve the best results, the student must maintain an attendance record of at least 75% attendance of lectures, tests and tutorials.  These all count towards the calculation of the attendance record. If the attendance of the student falls below the required minimum, particular circumstances will be investigated and the overall grade given the student for the course may be affected.

If there is persistent poor attendance, then according to the contributing circumstances, the student may have to leave the university or consideration will be given to whether the student should retake the courses from the beginning, the next academic year

Publication of Results: Soon after the final examination is over, results are published in the university notice-boards and also made available on the internet at the following address: http://www.ku.edu.np/exam/index.php


Course of Study

Course of Study

Project Page

Project Page



Click HERE to give feedbacks and comments on the site!


Encipher 2009Download the technical journal, Encipher, published annually by SEEE.